The Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau (ERDB) is the principa research and development (R & D) unit of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). Its R & D and extension activities are focused on the five major ecosystems of the Philippines which include forests, upland farms, grassland and degraded areas, coastal zone and freshwater, and urban areas.
The ERDB was created in June 1987 under Executive Order (EO) 192 that merged the function of the former Forest Research Institute (FORI) and the National Mangrove Committee. Its headquarters is located at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, College of Forestry and Natural Resources (UPLB-CFNR) campus in the municipality of Los Baños, province of Laguna, Philippines about 65 kms south of Manila.
The implementation of the Department’s Rationalization Plan in the early part of 2015 paved way for the creation of Centers of Excellence in the DENR-Research Bureau.
The Centers of Excellence are:
- Watershed and Water Resources Research Center (Regions 1,2,3,CAR)
- Land Management, Agroforestry and Uplad Farmning Research Center (Regions 4A, 4B, 5)
- Biodiversity, Coastal, Wetlands and Ecotourism Research Center (Regions 6,7,8)
- Forest and Timber Resources Research Center (Regions 9,10,13)
- Mining & Degraded Areas Rehabilitation Research Center (Regions 11 & 12)
- Urban, Toxic Chemicals & Hazardous Wastes Research Center (NCR)